Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Natal Rumors!


Seems like the past two weeks have been rife with rumors, but here are some more to whet your whistle. Microsoft's motion controller, still codenamed "Project Natal" is rumored to cost $149 according to a "trusted source" speaking to Edge Online. There will also be a bundle with the Natal and an Xbox 360 Arcade console for $299. The bundle seems like a pretty good deal, but the Natal alone seems a little expensive when compared to the under-$100 Playstation Move.

In other Natal news, ex-President of Xbox 360 Robbie Bach spoke about the Natal to Techflash yesterday.

"So, for me it's a jumpstart catalyst. It's a midlife kicker for the 360, and it's an opportunity to really drive that business in a dramatic way."

He went on to say that the Natal's purpose is "to produce a new experience for people without shipping a new console".

I skimmed that line at first and read it as "shopping for a new console." I suppose that reflects how I personally see the Natal. Despite trying to paint the Natal as something shiny and new, I still see it as Microsoft's version of the Wii. They're trying to do motion control, just like everyone else. Just like I said a few days ago, I think motion control is a huge gimmick. The Natal does seem to offer a different experience without any controllers to wave around, but that reminds me of my Eyetoy from back in the day.

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'll be surprised. Perhaps I'll even change my mind completely about the subject. For now, I still think that the concept of motion controllers in video games needs to prove itself before it becomes the standard for every console.

No comments:

Post a Comment