Monday, May 24, 2010

Gamestop Levels Up!




So everyone who plays games is pretty much familiar with the game store Gamestop. For those who have been living in the dark ages, or who have never ventured outside your home to buy a video game, they sell new and used games, as well as buy them back off of you when you're done with them. At this point in time, they have a monopoly in the used game industry, as they have either run the other companies out of business or they have bought them outright.

But that isn't the point of the post.

Very soon (within the next month or two, actually) Gamestop will be offering a new rewards program. Their current one gives 10% off of used games as well as 10% extra trade-in credit, as well as a 12-issue subscription to Game Informer magazine.

As you can see by my link, they will have a restructured system for every transaction made. They will give out points which will be redeemable for different things in the store, such as gift cards or even accessories for systems. The thing I like about this is that you earn points not only for buying used games, but also new games. You also get points for trading in games. So far, what I'm inferring from this is that they're removing the bonus 10% I mentioned earlier. Kind of sucks. I know I've gotten an extra $20-40 on a stack of games in the past.

I guess they have some pretty good rewards. Also the fact that your transactions automatically enter you into their contest (1 transaction = 1 entry for the free card, 1 = 2 for the paid membership).

I'm already an Edge member, with the large amount of games I already buy per month. So hey, I'll definitely post later if I win any special contests or if I end up getting some neat rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment