Monday, May 24, 2010

Again with the Motion Control...


It seems like almost all of us at Boss VG have issues with motion control in video games. I am no different. I, like many gullible gamers before me, obtained a Wii for the sole purpose of killing everything that moved on my screen by waving my arms around like a drunken, sentient windmill. Until I actually got to playing games like Red Steel, I didn't really have any grasp on the limitations for the motion sensitivity of the system. (Or the lack thereof.)

The only game I played even semi-hardcore on the Wii was Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and even then we're talking about a game that didn't rely on motion control at all. By the way, that non-motion control game is still the most avidly played Wii game. That says something to me that more play-time is going into the game that doesn't use motion control than any other game. Especially on the so-called "motion control system".

That's why I get a little nervous when I hear people talk about the Move like its going to be some great addition to the PS3. I want to say "Didn't you see Nintendo make the same mistake?", but that question would be drowned out by the sound of Satoru Iwata and Reggie Fils-Aime playing laser ping pong on their floating fortress fashioned from all of their Wii earnings. I can talk as much shit as I want about the Wii, but the sales numbers speak for themselves.

I just think that motion control is a lame gimmick, and its going to take something impressive to change my mind about it. Give me something that you can do in a motion control game that is more fun that its real life counterpart. That's all I ask. I might be alone in this, but I feel like playing sports in real life is way more fun than trying to do it on the Wii. And before I get any flak for this, let me say that the Wii Motion Plus is a step in the right direction as far as sensitivity, the twenty dollar price tag makes it akin to highway robbery. Why should I have to pay for something extra that the Wii should have had when it was released? It should have been a lot more sensitive, period. If you're going to make a big deal out of a new controller, make sure it works well before you release it. Otherwise, assholes like me will make long, annoying posts about it on video game blogs that no one reads.

The aforementioned issues are what come to mind when I read about the Move in interviews such as this one at Gamasutra with SCEA's Rob Dyer. However, one thing that Mr. Dyer said made me feel strangely about this whole business.

"I think the biggest problem that third parties have had with the Wii is that everybody had to implement everything with the Wii-mote, and a lot of games were never meant to have that kind of physical [interface]."

Oh snap, I couldn't have put it better... at all. He then goes on to say that games made for the Move will be developed with the Move in mind. Sure is a good thing that Nintendo tested the waters for you guys first though, right? Maybe the future holds some good stuff for motion control. Probably not, but we'll have to see at E3.

No comments:

Post a Comment