Monday, June 14, 2010

K'nex or Kinects?


So yesterday, Microsoft held a small press conference (similar to some of the ones that Sony has been having over the past few months), and capitalized on the E3 conference to announce the real name of Project Natal. It's now called the Kinect.

Does that sound dumb or what? What is it with hardware designers calling their systems goofy things? I get it. I get exactly what they're saying with the Kinect, and the reason behind it. They want to connect (get it? Kinect?) people to the virtual world. Question is: how do they propose to connect people without any form of physical input? Granted, it means that if there's any fitness games, that we won't be forced to pick up a remote then put it down for the exercises that don't require any input on that particular controller, but at the same time, it removes the physical feedback that the controller provides. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it coming to the home systems (read: waiting for it to come out) so that I can get my hands on it and test it out myself.

Hopefully during E3 we'll hear a price point for both it and the move.


Another idea I think they'll announce as a Kinect accessory? The Pheal. It's a force feedback vest you can use so that when you get shot it stimulates a certain spot on your chest area.

See Microsoft? I can misspell things to come up with goofy names for products too.


Edit @ 5:47am: Also, I call an August release date for the kinect. 2 months should be sufficient time to roll out the marketing on it. Also, they want to get a jump on the Move, which is set for fall, soooo.....

No comments:

Post a Comment