Sunday, June 6, 2010

Japanese RPG devs have become 'Complacent'

I wouldn't say that JRPGS are terrible nowadays since I am actually enjoying my time with Final Fantasy 13 right now, but there are those that would. I will admit that there was a time when my most anticipated games were from overseas and usually RPGS. And over the years that has become less and less true since western developers are making more innovative and appealing games while Japan is basically doing their usual games thing with better graphics.

BioWare's Greg Zeschuk believes that the Eastern developers have grown complacent, while Western RPG experiences are heating up. And its no secret that Bioware's RPGs are fucking amazing and probably the best RPGs around lately. He had this to say about Japanese RPG developers and the games they are making.

"I think what happened is they got very complacent for a very long time," he explains. "They kept making the same thing, and the same thing, and, in a sense, almost provided an opening for all of us to jump in with our style of games. I know first hand that they’re looking at our games now; they’re kind of looking at our stuff, the Fable stuff, and Fallout, and all that, and going, 'what are these things?' I think they had gotten used to making the same thing over and over, and it was working.

"I think the other thing, too, is that the Japanese market has gotten quite a bit weaker and weaker. It’s just not as strong a market. It used to be a tremendously strong game market, so I think they’re kind of looking at it going, 'man, we’ve got to figure out where else we can sell these,' and I think the traditional, very structured, old-school structure RPG wasn’t selling anymore; so now, I think we’re going to see some changes."

No comments:

Post a Comment