Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Realtime Worlds is Done


Many people have heard already, but Scotland-based Realtime Worlds, creator of APB, has gone into administration. This means that they are essentially bankrupt, and are expected to begin letting people go soon. They will attempt to sell the company.

I'd have to say I'm not that surprised. Despite the positive review Joe and I did of the game, APB was an utter flop. It received many negative reviews, and I agree with most of the things those reviews touched upon, most of the time. It was a fun premise, and the customization was amazing, but the lack of content and balance issues made us decide to quit. Going up against a team of six with better weapons than you makes your team of four want to quit pretty quickly. Just saying.

APB could have been so much better, it really pained me to quit playing it. Though I realize now that I was liking the idea of the game more than the real deal. Yes, the customization was astounding, but that doesn't make up for the short list of unlockable weapons and complete lack of endgame. I wish the variation extended into weaponry and vehicles. Everyone just used the submachine gun and the AK-47 clones anyway. Let us not even speak of the performance requirements, which probably fucked RTW more than anything else in that game. All I see when I look back at the game is wasted potential...

Joe and I said we'd think about going back when we saw patches and serious improvements made upon APB. Now I'm not so sure, but if this blog post from the APB site can be trusted, nothing will happen to the game servers, and development will continue. I doubt they'll ever improve the game enough to save it, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment