Wednesday, August 4, 2010

GT5: Pulling out all the Stops


Remember that one racecar sim that had the last big, real iteration back in 2005? The only real reason you probably remember Gran Turismo is because nobody will stop talking about it. Sure the original game revolutionized racing sims, but there have been a lot of games lately that have stepped it up, and actually made the sim part of "racing sim" be equivalent to fun.

Of course that's me touting how much I love Forza 3. I have always had a problem with any Gran Turismo game I've picked up. I thought that, maybe after learning to drive, I would get better at the GT games, and actually be able to pass the licensing during the career mode.

Yeah, not the case.

But that's for another time and place.


Gran Turismo 5 has been in development for quite some time. They've released a "demo" type version of the game for the PS3, "Gran Turismo 5: Prologue" and decided to market it as a full game, when in fact it was nothing compared to the real game, nor any other racing game (such as Forza...). It had something like 70 cars and 15 tracks.

I mean the graphics were high-def, but nothing really more than that.


Anyways, this isn't a rant about GT5 and how Forza 3 is still going to be better than it, this is to talk about the Collector's edition of GT5, or at least the European version of it.

So the Europeans get the following in their collector's edition:

-Metal sculpted box finished in SLS AMG obsidian black
-Exclusive GT branded SLS AMG 1:43 model car
-GT leather wallet containing Signature Edition competition entry card
-Branded USB key with Polyphony/Mercedes-Benz trailer
-GT branded metal key fob
-Signature Edition coffee table book featuring the cars and locations of GT5
-200 page Apex driver's magazine with hints on driving technique, car tuning, future technologies, and more

You also get a bunch of exclusive cars. Any guesses on how much this will cost? I'll even make it easier and just use American currency.

$70? $80? $100?

Nope, nope, and...nope.

$240.

I mean, you get a lot of neat little things, but I could just do with the model car, the wallet, and the keychain and be happy. Everything else, especially a fucking COFFEE TABLE BOOK is just a little superfluous.

I'll just stick with my Forza 3 collector's edition, which included a USB flash drive, a keychain, and a cool case, as well as a bunch of exclusive track packs and cars, and only cost me $70 (well, $10 after all the trade-ins).

No comments:

Post a Comment