Wednesday, July 7, 2010

RE: RE: Blizzard Using Real Names

So remember how I said a lot can be found out about a person, based only on their name? I've been reading up all day on the different opinions of different people, and have read at least one big one that I really, really don't like and didn't think about. Someone brought up the fact that if people are applying for a job with a resume, someone can google their name and pull up the posts. While gaming is more accepted, a lot of people don't understand that while the act of playing an MMO is generally considered to be one of isolation, there is a lot of socialization and teamwork that takes place.

Oh yeah, and there's this article that I found over at WoW Riot. This explains about how one of the employees tried to alleviate concerns about using their real name, and posted his.


The employee's user name is Bashiok, and his real name is Micah Whipple. From this, the WoW Riot pulled up his address, phone number, people living in his house (it's odd, because as the article comments, it seems like he's still living with his mother...how much does Blizzard pay their employees?). Some people even pulled up a google streetview map of the house he lives in.



So yeah, scary stuff. I mean, the more common your name is the lesser chance that you'll have of someone being able to track you down.

In the defense of Blizzard, after all of the complaint threads they got Blizzard issued a statement saying it would be voluntary, and that you would have the ability (and a lot of notifications) advising you that you were posting with your real name first.


I still think it's fucking stupid. I mean, what do they think they're going to accomplish? I really can't see a drop in trolls, or anything about that friendship bs. I mean, I know some people only by their game tag, and even after I find out their real name I'll still call them by their user name.

When I play online, I'm a PSN ID, a Gamertag, and a Username. Of course when I write articles and star in Bosstalk, I am George, but when it comes to online gameplay, I do not intend to play as George.

No comments:

Post a Comment