Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blizzard Forums will use your real name

When I read this information over at Kotaku, I was more than a little surprised. Apparently, along with the new Real ID system, Blizz plans to display your real name instead of your in-game handle when you post on the forums.

According to Nethaera, "Removing the veil of anonymity typical to online dialogue will contribute to a more positive forum environment, promote constructive conversations, and connect the Blizzard community in ways they haven't been connected before."

I've always wondered what would happen if people couldn't hide behind a wall of anonymity. Would they be nicer and more positive? I guess we'll get to see. As our society becomes more engrossed with the Internet, I think its inevitable that the line between virtual and real worlds blurs. I'm not bothered at all, since my handle "Jervan" is already linked to my real name in plenty of places. Then again, most people don't write a gaming blog and make weekly videos on YouTube.

Speaking of which, at the time of this writing, our APB review is at 2,313 views and Boss Talk is at 301 views. We're certainly improving! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment