Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dragon Effect 2?

So Bioware broke the announcement about Dragon Age II. This is no new news to anyone who purchased DA:Awakening at retail, as they got a card with the projected release date of february 2011. What is news is the things that Bioware is announcing about the game. The thing that surprises me the most? They're going the route of Mass Effect and only letting you customize the look and gender of your character, not the race, nor the origin.

According to Kotaku, they decided to go the route to, "allow for a deeper story, while allowing characters to refer to the main character by name."

Sounds kind of like bullshit to me. Now, I didn't play the original game, and I've been hesitant to get into it because I've heard it's so long, but at the same time, wasn't the main purpose of Dragon Age to have your own completely created character (ala Neverwinter Nights) be the center of the story? While it's fine from the point where you now get voiced dialogue that refers to the main character by last name, it's NOT ok to strip that form of RPG away from fans of the series.

In my opinion, it would have worked if they just stuck you with a last name, then allowed you to choose races. The story already says that, "the legend around Hawke's rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor," so why couldn't they work in the fact that the details of the hero were shrouded in mystery in the category of their race as well?

Sounds like lazy storytelling to me, but I've long since put all of my faith into Bioware, and I'm sure they'll make another surprise blockbuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment