Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Motion Control Fiasco

So over the past few days, the two newcomers to the motion controller business have been spreading around numbers and facts. Personally, I find one of them to be completely retarded (can you guess whose?). That's right, Microsoft!!!! They had the stupidest one so far, regarding the pricing of the kinect vs. both the Wii and the PS3 and Move.

Here's the charts, the first one is for new system owners, the second is for current system owners:





Both are pretty bullshit. First off, this is considering that you will be playing with multiple people in the same room. Motion control games are not fun in small rooms with multiple people, and they frequently result in either injury or property damage. Also, is the Wii Balance Board 100% necessary to the scenario? They might as well have added in the Wii Zapper as well to push the price as high as they can.

As I've stated before, it's costing me $129.99 to get the whole Move experience, and that's including a game, the primary controller, the camera, and the sub-controller. You also can use a DualShock 3 controller instead of a navigation controller, if you don't want to fork out that extra $29.99.

Then I read this article over at Destructoid. They talk about corporate bullshitting, etc and so forth. I honestly looked at that whole list, and I don't see any bullshitting. Bullshitting would be if they talked shit about the other systems. A little slanted, but at the same time, how can it not be, when they're comparing all of their features? It's not like they put a category on there that said "Usable whether standing or sitting" to cast Microsoft in a bad light.




Also, people are getting up in arms about the fact that Sony put on there "rechargeable batteries." Um, last I checked, rechargeable batteries ARE a FEATURE of a device. I mean, I guess it shouldn't quite apply to the Kinect, which is tethered to the Xbox 360, but I have a feeling people's controllers (aka arms and legs) are going to get tired pretty quickly, and the only thing I do to recharge is to sleep it off.

Only thing they didn't take into account is the fact that the Nintendo DOES have a camera, albiet it isn't very well integrated with the system, and is fairly obscure. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't for the fact that I remember Ubisoft blabbing about it at E3 2009. Guess what? It was only ever implemented in two Ubisoft games, Racquet Sports and Your Shape: Featuring Jenny McCarthy. And the camera doesn't actually have motion controls.

Do those two games justify inclusion in the ad? NO, I don't think so. I mean, two shitty games, versus a library of games that are going to form another core product for people who play PS3? I mean, I'm not expecting to play EVERY game with the Move, but I think having 10+ games that are compatible with it is a lot more justifiable than a library of 2.



Credit of course goes to Kotaku for the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment