Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Champions Online is Free to Play, If You Want


As Joe said two weeks ago, Champions Online now offers a "Free to Play" option, as of today. This F2P version differs from the paid version of the game in a variety of ways, as expected.

I was initially excited to log in and screw around on my old account for a couple of hours. (I never planned on coming back to the game, after all.) It was a fun game, at its core, but the lack of endgame at the time, the PvP imbalances, and the overwhelming amount of bugs were just too much. Anyway, I tried to convert one of my characters over to "silver" so that I could play him, but the servers were having issues and wouldn't complete the conversion. So, I figured I might as well make a new account. I did and was greeted by an Archetype selection page when I went to make my character. I guess one of the main limitations of the free to play version of the game is that you can't choose your powers.

There are eight Archetypes to choose from which determine the powers your character will gain as they level. In other words, you don't get to pick your powers, the game does it for you. That was enough for me to uninstall the game a second time.

Why would I want to play a superhero MMO if I don't get to choose my powers? It is the F2P version, but it feels like too much of a limitation. Whatever, not like I was really going to play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment